Monday, July 12, 2010

"Young Velvets, Young Prices" photographed for Vogue, 1949, from the roof of the Conde Nast Building.
(All images copyrighted Norman Parkinson Ltd., provided courtesy of the Norman Parkinson Archive, London. Norman Parkinson: A Very British Glamour, by Louise Baring, Rizzoli New York, 2009)

This is one of my favorite images. I bought this postcard when I was a young twenty-something, just new to NYC. It was always posted in a prominent spot in whatever apartment I was living in at the time. I worked on the 6oth floor of 30 Rock for 12 years and this was my view of downtown, except of course, with the twin towers.

The photograph reminds me of me and my sisters, there are five girls in our family and one boy. I remember wearing white gloves when I was a little girl; they went out of fashion when I was about 6 years old. The only other time I wore white gloves was at dancing school and Miss Is wore them too when she went to dancing school. Always a sweet image: little girl in white gloves.

Off to celebrate a 5oth birthday with 3 of my sisters ... escaping to Nantucket for a couple of days. I cannot wait for the mini-break... twin beds in ajoining rooms...talk, talk, talk...window shopping...bike riding...swimming...and an icecream cone or two!!

No comments: