Thursday, September 2, 2010

I am not what people call a helicopter parent. I just miss hearing about the daily doings from my daughter who went off to college two weeks ago. So I read the online campus newspaper to keep up with the action. I watched a two minute piece on the freshman convocation, class of 2014; the band played, the President spoke, the glee clubs sang, and my eyes welled up with tears.

The President of the college urged students to leave their “comfort zones,” and take risks. The purpose of your education, she said, is to make students familiar with the process of exploration and the mistakes and missteps that accompany it.

She went to say: “Find that part of you that will take a chance on an idea or an ideal, the part of you that is willing to fail … Our job is to help make this willingness for risk and invention become second nature to you, so that your idea of success includes some failure, so that you allow yourselves to become uncomfortable as you try new things.”

I love this advice for young people. You never know what you will find out about yourself or your world unless you just go for it...explore new territory... dig deep ... take a leap ... the net usually appears and if not, well you learned something. To our next group of leaders and doers. Cheers and hurrah! xo m

2 comments:

pve design said...

I am so glad you are not a helicopter parent.
freedom and a strong will, is the best example of a good parent.
pve

pve design said...

good student too.
pve