Monday, April 7, 2008

Wow, this is fun; truly addictive.  I jumped when I received my first comment. Thanks Patricia. Your note triggered a memory of our talk in January when I was fretting about what I could possibly say on a blog.  I thought I might just put up some photos of my work and post occasionally,  but you cautioned me against that technique with the very clever analogy - "if you don't post regularly, it is like ringing the doorbell to visit but no one is ever home".  So everyone please stop by; I'm home.

In my last post, I mentioned the great ladies that I met in Chicago at the Women Entrepreneurs event.  Today I would like to introduce you to Charlotte Smith and her family who operate Appleseed Farm in Fairbanks, Indiana.  Charlotte pitched her product to the editors of Country Living, just like I did.  We sweated out the waiting room together and then sat together through the panel discussions.   Charlotte is a delightful person; I am so glad that I had the good fortune to share the same elevator on the way to our pitch.  Charlotte is also a waste not, want not type of gal.  One year, as she tells her story on Appleseed Farm's website,  "we had apples running out of ears" so Charlotte decided to make Christmas presents for her family and friends.  One experiment led to another and Pour-A-Pie was born.  When Charlotte first explained it to me I was a little puzzled by the concept because I love to bake pies - but the more I thought about it, the more the idea made sense.  Peeling apples, hulling strawberries, pitting cherries... labor intensive and so many people do not have the time these days - but who doesn't love the smell of a freshly-baked pie?  All you need is your own crust or a Pillsbury crust and then just pour the filling in - and poof - a pie for dinner in under an hour.   The fillings are packaged in old-fashioned mason jars, topped with with a country cotton square of green and white check, tied with twine. Looks, and is, just off the farm.  The flavors are apple, cherry, peach, blueberry, strawberry and blackberry.   Another special part of Appleseed Farm is the fact that it is operated by four generations of Charlotte's family - all cookin' together in the kitchen.  Now that's down home. And you can have a bit of this by visiting the website and ordering online or if you live near a Whole Foods Market, Pour-A-Pie will make its debut in their stores just before Mother's Day.  

http://www.appleseedfarm.com/images/pour-a-pie.jpg  

I tried to post a picture from the website, but I am a novice at this blogging thing - learning as I go... so just follow this web address and you will arrive in Indiana.  I will figure out the link bit too so you don't have to cut and paste the web address in the future.  

My favorite pie is Strawberry Rhubarb.  What's your favorite?

7 comments:

Little Pods Clothing said...

Yes! I love comments too, and I think it's very important to have fun and interesting things to say, but maybe add in a picture to every entry for spice and flavor. I love seeing other people's work. Good luck on continuing a successful blog!

Marnie said...

Hi Little pods - I am so new at this that i have not figured out the picture bit... so just imagine for now... (part of the reason why my descriptions go on and on...)

Robin said...

Bring on the peach pie. Um, or maybe cherry. No, wait, rhubarb. Yes, rhubarb. Plain rhubarb. Add strawberries if you must, but they are not in season when the rhubarb is and really rhubarb is around for such a short time, why muck it up with other things when you can savor its delicious tartness unadulterated...

Can you tell I've not had dinner?

ps - Marnie, adding pix and links is a cinch once you know where to click, I'd be happy to walk you through it offline. Click on the little envelope on one of my posts on my blog and then we can email.

Charlotte said...

Hey marnie,

I meant to comment on the first post but wow, I am so glad I waited for the second. Thanks for the blog. Can't wait to read more
Charlotte

Alicia said...

Loved your latest blog entry...you are really enjoying this. Charlotte's pie idea sounds great and I know my Charlotte will love to try it. She's my fellow baker in the family. Enjoy your birthday...maybe you should have had pie instead?!

Marnie said...

Great to hear from you Alicia - the first sister to post!

pve design said...

Wow, it's good to know that "some" people" listen to me! Enjoy!